Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience.
16823287

Do I require permission to quote one sentence consisting of

Customer Question

Do I require permission to quote one sentence consisting of 19 words from a book published in the UK in 1988. The author died in 2003?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am looking into this for you now…..

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright [ for literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works] to be 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies. So the copy right has not expired.

You may qualify for a fair use exception but I would need to know how and why you plan to use the quote [i.e. what purpose and will it be for profit?]

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm quoting the sentence in my self-published autobiography. Technically this is for profit but, as a practical matter, the profit is likely to be zero. It's more for the benefit of my family.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Given what you have stated, it does not appear to qualify for any of the fair use exceptions. See this law. See Sections 28-36. Your best bet is to obtain permission or fit it under the research and private study exception.