Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am agraphicdesigner organization. Do I have the right to

Customer Question

I am agraphicdesigner for an organization. Do I have the right to place designs I created for them that currently exist on their website and social media, on my own site as portfolio pieces with attributions that include my company's information?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are working for the organization as an employee, then they own the works you create unless you have a contract to the contrary. If you are an independent contractor, then it all depends on the terms of your contract as to whether or not you retain the rights for your limited use in your portfolio. As an independent contractor, you have the general rights to use works you have created as part of your own portfolio to showcase your work and get additional business unless your contract with them specifies you cannot do so.