Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I'm starting an apparel company dedicated to apparel named

Customer Question

I'm starting an apparel company dedicated to apparel named "Koloa Apparel". Upon searching the internet I found that another company exist with a similar name but they are Koloa Surf Co. Can I still use the name? Should I stop making the shirts I've already made?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If your apparel has anything to do with surfing then no. You probably would be rejected in seeking a trademark. You can search the Trademarks/names and see if they have one. If they don't then I suggest you consider submitted for yours under that name.

My search reveals the names at this LINK and the Koloa Surf Co is trademarked. And there is also a simple "Koloa" which does apparel such as shirts, t-shirts, shorts, board shorts, sweat shirts, hooded sweatshirts, tank tops, hats and beanies.

I suggest that adding the word "Apparel" to your product would not be enough of a distinction for what is already trademarked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to make a distinction between the two? My brand is about building unity with the slogan "treasure one another" . Koloa means 'treasure' in Tongan. Would I need to have a specific 'theme' to make my brand distinguishable, like koloa 'surf' co.? The name is ***** ***** to me, so I wouldn't consider changing it.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If a trademark has been used for a continuous period of at least five years after the date of registration, the right to use the mark and the registration may become "incontestable". .