Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
18572087

Am I able to reproduce an original painting in a limited

Customer Question

Am I able to reproduce an original painting in a limited edition of prints that is a montage of several celebrities without getting copyrights from them all?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Because you are using likenesses of others, unless this is a parody, you would need permission from the celebrities listed, and if this is a remake of a famous painting that is also currently under protection, from that artist as well. The law is same for a montage or an individual capture, all parties listed in the painting have to consent. Now, having said that, the chance of those celebrities filing suit is very very small, but it does exist, so the correct legal solution is to obtain waivers.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.