Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I'm an educator who is in the process of developinga website

Customer Question

I'm an educator who is in the process of developinga website that features videos from Vimeo and YouTube. College students use the site to practice English. There's no charge to watch the videos and discuss them in the classroom. However, I planto charge them to chat about the films and lessons outside of class via a chat software (CometChat). Am I violating any laws.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I believe that I've already answered your question in another thread. Here's what I wrote:

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No you're not violating any law. Even if you were charging to view the films or lesson, that wouldn't be necessarily violating the law. You could charge to show videos that are available elsewhere (so long as you're in compliance with the terms of service of that site that you're showing the videos from). Even then any case against you would be civil (in that it would be the website, not the government, that would be coming after you, if at all). But charging to chat about the films and lesson is even one step removed from that and certainly would not be violating any copyright, and wouldn't impose any criminal or civil liability on you.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!