Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I need to know if I can patent the use of an already

Customer Question

I need to know if I can patent the use of an already available fabric for a handmade product I sell. I was first to discover it's use for my item and it has been copied now and is very popular. I want to protect my idea and business income.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

While I would need more info (which you may not want to disclose here as its not confidential), it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to patent the "use" or "application" of a fabric. Ideas and concepts alone are not protectable by patents or any other form of intellectual property. A patentable invention would require some real innovation of some kind, something that has never been done before and is not considered "obvious" to those of skill in the art.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am willing to supply any additional info that would elicit a more precise answer
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

sure let me know how you are using the fabric