Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am an author. How do i determine if a short quote or poem

Customer Question

I am an author. How do i determine if a short quote or poem I would like to use on a fly-leaf/front paper (page in front of my prologue) "has been released in the public domain, and provide documentation for my publisher to that effect"? Thank you! Erin
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need to check with http://www.copyright.gov and if it is an older work, pre-1970's you would have to contact the copyright desk through copyright.gov at the US Library of Congress, since they have all of the specific details on when a copyright was applied for and whether or not the material is now in public domain or if copyright has expired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel immediately! I will not pay a monthly fee for this service.

Thank you for your reply.

NOBODY has charged you monthly for this service. You are not a subscription customer and are not showing as signed up as one. The experts are not employees of this site so we get nothing for having spent time with customers like you when customers refuse to leave positive feedback and we would never offer you anything (we cannot stop the site from doing things and we disagree with them doing so, but we are customers of the site like you are and have no more say than you do). I am sorry if the site somehow offended you, and I ask you not to take this out on the expert who is spending time assisting you and who has parovided you information in direct response to your question.

By leaving positive feedback you are NOT engaging in any monthly subscription though according to what the site is showing.