Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I think that my writings may have been stolen but I can't

Customer Question

I think that my writings may have been stolen but I can't find the name of the person who originally sold the writings and ideas to the network television station how do I get that information there are too many similarities to my writing and someone my case coordinator asked to see my manuscript she and she loved it and she said she could help me get published but she wanted to read it overnight and she was supposed to read it and return the next day but never came back and she call her job the next day and quit and far as I know she hasn't been seen around here since then how do I find out if she used another name or family members name to sell my work
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, there is no way to actually trace this. If you released your work only to your coordinator and then it showed up elsewhere, you need to file suit against the case coordinator for copyright infringement and then through that lawsuit you can find out who she sold it to and then add them in as another party in the case. That is the one way you can get to the bottom of it, sue the person you initially gave it to and then make them tell you through the lawsuit what they did or did not do with the work.

The other way to get to the bottom of this is to file a suit against the company that has produced your work for copyright infringement and take them to court and through the suit you would be able to find out who they purchased the work from.

Either way you would need a local intellectual property law attorney and they have to file suit in court to find out how your work was put in the hands of people you did not give consent to use the work.