Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
18572087

I'm writing a book. Can I get a copywriter if I only have a

Customer Question

I'm writing a book. Can I get a copywriter if I only have a title, a few characters, and an unknown ending?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

For the whole work, no. But for what you created, absolutely. ANYTHING you create is copyrighted to you automatically, but if you haven't written something, you haven't developed the characters, and haven't created the ending, then that cannot be protected because it simply does not exist.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. My wish is to protect the characters & idea of my story.
Are you saying I can apply for a copyright on what little I have now?

Just on that little, yes, but that would be unwise. You may want to hold off because you have an 'automatic' copyright for whatever you created--you may want to wait for a full copyright once you finish. Simply finishing your work with: "Your Name, Copyright 2015" is sufficient to extend protection. But as far as the 'idea' of your story, you generally cannot copyright an idea, but the work itself is able to be protected.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

My pleasure, truly! Glad to help.

If satisfied with my assistance, kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.