Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I recently purchased a photocopy of a Civil War soldier's

Customer Question

I recently purchased a photocopy of a Civil War soldier's diary (written 1864-1865) at a garage sale. It consists of photocopied pages in a loose-leaf binder. The original diary is apparently in the Dubois County Museum in Jasper, Indiana, according to a note preceding the photocopied pages.
The diary was published in the Indiana Magazine of History in September, 1927. A reprint of the entire article (the entire diary) is available online at the Indiana University ScholarWorks website.
Is the diary in the public domain, and am I therefore free to publish it?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

Hello. if it was published without a copyright notice in 1927 then it is in public domain and can be freely used/copied (anything before 1923 is public domain ). If it had a notice then it would still be public domain if the copyright was joy renewed. If it had a notice and was renewed then the copyright would last 95 yrs from 1927.