Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Is downloading TV shows from internet like bit torrent in

Customer Question

Is downloading TV shows from internet like bit torrent in California illegal or not? how about downloading movie?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  montysimmons replied 1 year ago.

Downloading any work protected by copyright where neither the source or you have been granted rights to do so from the copyright owner is a copyright violation.

You can legally download works that (1) are not protected by copyright (and thus, in the public domain) or (2) if protected by copyright, you have permission from the copyright owner to download - if, for example, Entity-X has permission from the copyright owner to copy and distribute movie-1 and you have permission from Entity-X to download Movie-1, you can legally download Movie-1.

If you need a more specific answer I can provide one or if you have more questions please ask more question.

In fact, please ask questions until you consider my answers "good" or better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I videotape a TV show without knowing whether it copyright protected or not just for personal entertainment. Is that copyright violation? or download from Internet for personal watch , can this be considered the same effect as videotaping?

Making any unauthorized copy of a copyright protected work is copyright infringement unless you have "fair use" defense - which is unlikely.

If you videotape a TV show you are making a copy of such TV show and it would be a copyright violation. That said, unlikely anyone but you and your friends/family would ever know about the copy unless you told others.

How or what tools one uses to make an unauthorized copy of a copyright protected work is not important. Making unauthorized copies of copyright protected works is a copyright violation regardless of the method/tools used.