Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have written a trivia e-book about famous people. I have

Customer Question

I have written a trivia e-book about famous people. I have used Wikipedia as some of my source. Wikipedia states their information is public domain. What exactly does that mean? Also, can I used the famous people photo from Wikipedia in my book as long as I list Wikipedia as the source? Thanks in advance for your speedy response.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
hello. public domain means that it is not copyright protected and can be used freely. Using the information found on Wiki is fine (although you should still not copy large portions verbatim without permission), but you have to make sure that the photo is public domain. Photos are normally protected by copyright. If you are publishing a book, then you need to make sure about this by actually contacting Wikipedia and confirming the type of material you plan to use and whether it is permissible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** more questions regarding this later. Again thanks.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
sure, let me know. best of luck