Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
12711280

I desire to sell posters with quotes on them; can you tell

Customer Question

I desire to sell posters with quotes on them; can you tell me in simple words what are barriers I must not over go to not possibly get sued by selling posters with quotes on them (the length the quote can be …)?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
As a technical matter, it is likely going to be a copyright infringement for you to sell posters with quotes on them that are the copyrighted material of someone else. In order to do this for profit, you will need to give clear credit to the copyright owner somewhere on the poster - as footnote at a minimum. The better plan would be to actually secure written permission from the copyright owner prior to producing these posters for sell AND giving proper citation to the source as well. You could legally get by with just providing the citation, but it is better to have express permission as well. Anything less than giving proper citation can result in an infringement suit against you by the owners. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
My pleasure. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I do not know where the quote came from?
You can perform a search on the copyright database which involves a keyword search on the US Copyright Office Website. That should give you the source. If you cannot locate the source, then you can note it as anonymous on your poster and be alright. However, document you search in the event someone tries to claim a willful infringement against you.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible in dealing with this important situation. Thanks