Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My Police Officer Son has an "excellent" idea site that

Customer Question

My Police Officer Son has an "excellent" idea for a site that caters to the same users as Angie's List, TCC, Home Advisor, et al. What I am trying to determine is if the Process or the Way this type of Site works can be Copyrighted to avoid copycats? Regards, ***** *****
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. The content can be protected by copyright. Copyright protects expressions of ideas. So the designs, logos, text, etc... can be protected. But copyright does not protect ideas themselves. For example, "Facebook" is very similar to "MySpace", but could do this because MySpace could not be protected by copyright or anything else. Now the actual code for the site can be protected by copyright (again, it's an expression) but if it operates similarly to other sites, or other sites operate similarly to it, the idea of the site is not protected. Trademark only protects the name or slogan of the site, so that doesn't help either. The key is to be the best at it. Facebook, Angieslist, Craigslist, etc... all have "copycats", but they're the best known because they execute the idea the best. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!