Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

My mom recently passed away and she painting lovely watercolors.

Customer Question

Hi. My mom recently passed away and she painting lovely watercolors. I want to make prints and give them as gifts, but I want to put a copyright notice on them. Since she is deceased, would the copyright be in her name or mine as her sole heir? Thanks, Denise
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
hello. the copyright would be in your name as the legal copyright owner (through inheritance)....but you may want to list her as the artist to give her artistic credit (referred to as "moral rights" in the art world).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Would the format be like this? The painting was created in 2010, does that go in the copyright date. I also want to provide my contact information."Hibiscus," by Marlene ***** *****, 2010. © 2015 Denise Lee. All rights reserved.
For permissions, contact***@******.***
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
yes you can do that, there are no rules or laws that you have to follow for copyright notices, so whatever you think looks good and has the info you want to show
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
yes the creation date of the work should be there. usually notices are short, just the date with the owner's name...but you can do more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
thanks best of luck