Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

Intellectual Property: We are doing a crowdfunding campaign

Customer Question

Intellectual Property: We are doing a crowdfunding campaign for a indie slasher video game. In our pitch video, we say "Heavily inspired by the classic 80’s Slasher films..." and during this 4-5 seconds, we would like to show about 12+ movie posters from different slasher film franchises. They would all be on the screen at the same time so we are not highlighting any single poster/title but they will be easily recognizable.
Is this legal? I read the laws but I am not sure.
Thank you!
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If you are going to show copyrighted posters in your trailer, you would need permission from the copyright owners. Even if it is a 4-5 second clip showing all of the posters, the fact that the posters are visible and recognizable would be all it takes to have a copyright violation I am afraid. This would not fall under fair use, since you are not using it for parody/satire, editorial, news reporting or educational purposes, your use is purely commercial and as such you require written consent to use.