Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I created three training courses while I worked State

Customer Question

I created three training courses while I worked for the State of Texas. A consulting firm came in years later to assist with other issues in Texas and had access to my training. The are using my training now in other states - they just "taught" me my own training in Washington. Their stating the training is their own and state contracts bring in over 100,000 each. With open records requests, I can prove they did not create the trainings.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Most employers have employment agreements with intellectual property etc. provisions that state that they own all creations of their employees (at least those related to their job duties or created with company time/resources). So, as an employee, you would have a hard time arguing that it should be owned by you instead of them unless you had some special agreement on the issue. Given that they are the owner, there isn't any obligation for them to say it was created by you...although if they say it was created by someone else (i.e. incorrect claim of authorship) then you "might" have something to complaint about (this is called "moral rights" for authors), but in my opinion I would not put too much effort into it as you are unlikely to get anywhere except getting them to give you recognition of some kind by putting your name on it, but beyond that I would not expect anything.