Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
18572087

I just got ownership of a NEW internet domain .sucks. I now

Customer Question

I just got ownership of a NEW internet domain .sucks. I now own Raytheon.sucks. I am NOT Raytheon, retired from there. Would like to use the site for MY opinion (Negative) and allow others to comment. Will include a statement that the website is not affiliated with Raytheon. Can I get in trouble for some kind of infringement??
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. In a word, yes, you can get in trouble with that. If the company claims that you are directly attempting to injure their reputation, and you are arguably cyber squatting on their name, they can sue you for both tortious interference with their business interest, and likewise sue in court to get the courts to have them order you to turn over the name to them. So if you wish to tweak their nose and speak your opinion, be prepared for a potential lawsuit. That is not to say that they will be successful, although it is likely that they would prevail purely because they generally have more resources to bring forth (and typically try to frivolous file their opponent until they run out of money and get out of the suit). I apologize for the frankness, but this is generally how such cases play out. Sincerely, ***** *****