Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My neice was asked by a friend to translate a cd that she had

Customer Question

My neice was asked by a friend to translate a cd that she had made at her home... Little did she know that it was conversations of a group of 4 people that had not been informed that they were being recorded. The purpose of the recording was to query her husband in the presence of her 3 friends.... The friend suspected that he was unfaithful to her..yet the entire conversation turned out to be in the process his hatred ofmy niece and he was demanding that =his wife cut off all contact with my niece.. In the recording he made some very incriminating remarks about my neice. When they all realized they were recorded - then the husband demanded the recording... The friend & wife of my niece (in order to save her marriage which she did not want to end turned on my niece and sided with herhusband. He then contacted an attorney and proceeded to make a copywrite of the recording and demand the return citing copywrite infringement. He does not remember all that he said and the contents of the recording.
Now he has dropped the copywrite law suit ..the copywrite is still in copywrite office awaiting completion.>>>>>>>He then asked attys to file separate suit demanding that my niece never come around the family or make contact ever &filed suit in wife's name...The wife nor my niece have not spoken since 11-2014 and will not , however, the suit is in process and $$$$'s are adding up. This man is rich and my niece has no money. I know you are confused by now with this explanation and my question tuthfully is >>>> did he or his wife have reason to file copywrite infringement suit ? Ann B.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello AnnThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI suggest there is no basis for a copy write lawsuit. First because the information was obtained illegally and next because when it was being transcribed there was no copy write on the material.Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you