Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

27 years a go I created a poster called the Door Ways of Plymouth.

Customer Question

27 years a go I created a poster called the Door Ways of Plymouth. I got property releases from the owners of each home (30) front doors. I sold most of my posters. I do have 30 left. I had a store owner call me last week and wanted to know if I still have the posters for sale. I have the poster but Ido not have the property leases from the home owners. Can I still sell the posters with out the releases?
Thank You .
Jim Allor
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
Yes, technically you could. As you had the property releases signed in the first place, it would not be an issue that you don't currently have possession. The one sticking point is that if you're sued, you might need to prove up the content of the property release. If you have the other property releases signed, and they're all identical, you could fairly easily argue that the missing ones were also signed and identical to the ones that you still have. And that's assuming that you'd be sued in the first place, which it would be far less than likely that you would be (especially in light of the 27 year gap).
Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!