Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Im writing a book basicly a sequel to a japanese cartoon

Customer Question

HI Im writing a book basicly a sequel to a japanese cartoon it start with a fanficiton.
but after a while I decided get it published . ive gone to many writers meeting and I know one thing you can not copyright ideas no matter what it is. my question is how does one get the right to publish a sequel based on a story from over seas like a country like japan.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the bot***** *****ne is that you need permission from them to create a sequel based on their work, you need to speak with their copyright licensing dept...you should find a Japanese speaker to discuss with them and/or send them emails/letters (but that may not be as effective ). This site cannot perform any services for you in this regard, but can provide general advice on law and suggested courses of action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have to request this if I went to a publisher?
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
Yes the publisher will require you to have the necessary rights. They may be able to help you with it but it's unlikely.