Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
18572087

I have a person who I want to know is real. He sent me a photo

Customer Question

I have a person who I want to know is real. He sent me a photo of his passport and the number is###-##-####- Name: ***** ***** from Michigan. How do I find out if it is real.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Supposedly born January 12, 1950 in Warsaw, Poland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apology.....it is Richard Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And he is now an American citizen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Supposedly in Cyprus on a business deal. His e-mail address is***@******.***
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am going to take a bit of an educated (but a wild) guess and state that you've never met this person in real life, that he stuck in a foreign country, and is seeking financial assistance from you so that he can be released, or his goods can be released, or he is able to pay off some taxes and/or fines. Does that sound fairly close to this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are correct! We met on an online dating sight. We spoke for a week before he stated he was going to Cyprus on business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though I have all this information, red flags are going up.
Then I am afraid that this is false, this is a romance/business scam that is designed to create an emotional attachment to you, and then create a conflict or an issue under which the other person can ask for help, and essentially guilt you into assistance. Please DO NOT fall for it, do not send any money, this is designed to remove your funds and make you believe that some sort of a payoff or a future is possible. These scams are fairly sophisticated but they share some similarities with one another, which is why I could guess the process without you telling me more information. So please please please DO NOT fall for it.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if he is truthful? How do I find out if he even exists? I don't plan on sending him any money regardless.
He isn't truthful. In my 6+ years on this website as well as in my own personal practice off-site I have only seen this to be truthful once, and that is when the parties knew each other in real life prior to this request. He does not exist at all, there is no such person--they either steal or modify pictures of passports, attempt to create an American sounding name, and pursue victims. This is a very sophisticated industry, and there is no chance that this is the truth. If you wish you can summarize what he is requesting the money for, or what he alleged happened and I can provide you with the law or the actual process if there is one, but at least so far I have not yet seen this to be something that passes muster (but have seen amazingly detailed passport images). The only problem with that image is that it is useless--passports have a barcode that is scanned by customs to check validity, so sending you this picture does not in any way prove that the passport is real or it even exists (most are amended via editing software such as Photoshop).
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is all good....why can't I check via his phone number, e-mail address and home address?
Because those can all be faked. And even if the name is ***** ***** based on a search online, the person contacting you may still (and is not) the person whose identity they would be utilizing. Email addresses, especcially free emails via hotmail, google, yahoo, and other third party sites can be created in 30 seconds or less under different names, so that is never a good way to check identity, unless it is a governmental (work) email, or a military email. (An email from the government will have a *.gov extension instead of a *.com, and a military email would have a *.mil extension. Those cannot be faked, at least not yet.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.