socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Developer creates master planned community, creates logo associated

Customer Question

Developer creates master planned community, creates logo associated with the community. Developer control is completed and a resident homeowner association is sitting in governance. Is the transfer of the logo implied at the time of board elections or does the developer have to specifically transfer ownership to the community association?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Under the U.S. Copyright doctrine of implied license, the developer's creation of the logo is impliedly licensed to the association for the purposes it was reasonably intended. In effect, this would grant the association a perpetual nonexclusive license to use the logo. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!