Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
12711280

I'm wanting to copyright song lyrics I wrote and I'm not

Customer Question

Hi, I'm wanting to copyright song lyrics I wrote and I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't know what forms I need and I don't know if lyrics are in the same category as a song or composition, as it relates to the copyright protocol. Thanks for your
help, Santi
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Santi, I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed intellectual property attorney with over a decade of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
The song can be the words (akin to poetry) and the composition is the musical arrangement (notes) relative to the words. You can also copyright the actual performance of the song as well.
You can file all of these on the US Copyright website for approximately $30 a piece. It is best to copyright the words as one copyright, then copyright the words in conjunction with the arrangement (notes reflected above the words), and if you have a performance (you can upload it in a wave file) and get a copyright on it too.
The song words or lyrics as well as the notes should be in a pdf file when uploaded on the US copyright site.
The site is very user friendly and walks you through the process. You do not have to be an attorney to use the site and upload content either.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively as well.
Best wishes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see... Do you happen to know the website address? thanks, Santi
Yep...Here you go: http://www.copyright.gov/eco/
You have to first register as a user on the site, then you can register your works. There are tutorials on the site that walk you through under "Recommended Reading".
Do you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks
Just checking in to make sure you are good with the information provided. Thanks