Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
12711280

Delta I don't type quickly as I suffered a stroke 8 yrs.

Customer Question

Hi Delta
I don't type quickly as I suffered a stroke 8 yrs. ago. Pls. be patient w/ me.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. The steps are as follows:
(1) Secure an in depth prior art search from a reputable patent attorney (this is likely the most important step because it will tell you if your idea is patentable);
(2) Use an attorney to file your application;
(3) Do not let someone talk you into filing a provision application - go ahead and file the non-provisional and get it over with;
(4) The patent will include a brief description of the invention, a detailed description of the invention, claims (like the metes and bounds of a property deed) and drawings (which should also be done by a professional);
(5) Once filed, the Patent Office will issue what is termed an office action which will entail what problems they see (they have to justify their existence);
(6) Your patent attorney will respond (have about three months to respond); and
(7) You typically will have an answer within about 18 months of filing the application, however, you can make, use and sell the invention in public after the application is filed.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answers positively as well.
Thanks!
Did you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks
Just checking in to make sure all is well or if you have additional questions. Best wishes!