BH
BH, Lawyer
Experience:  IP and Entertainment Attorney
67520588

Quick question - I am releasing an album that has a

Customer Question

Hello! Quick question - I am releasing an album that has a couple snippets of dialogue from copyrighted media. The instances are from the John Wayne film "McLintoch!" (18 seconds) and from the video game "Final Fantasy X" (9 seconds). Do I have to disclose that to the holders of the copyright and pay for rights to that material, or can I use it freely?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  BH replied 2 years ago.
In order to use material that is owned by another you would require a license to do so, regardless of the length of the material in question. If you use it without permission you risk being sued for copyright infringement. Assuming that this is an album that is not a parody of McLintoch or Final Fantasy, you would not likely have any fair use defense.
Let me know if you need further clarification or additional resources.