Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Five years ago I came up with an idea called Workspace...link

Customer Question

Five years ago I came up with an idea called Workspace...link to the idea here, which was recorded through Slideshare and kept on the site ever since...
https://www.slideshare.net/secret/fcIjUtFmWixky9 - if you can't access let me know...
Today I learned of a company in Houston, Texas that recently opened its doors not far from my home...virtually the same concept - if you compare the two you'll be amazed how similar they are. I was.
http://theworklodge.com/
Any chance I have a case?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
Unless you have some protected (registered) intellectual property that was infringed or have an agreement with this company that was violated, then no, you would have no case. There is no protection for an idea or concept, even if you can prove you had it first. Also, trying to disprove independent creation (rather than copying), is often impossible...and even that only applies where there was a protected right that was violated. If they copied your copyrighted writings, designs, etc. then you might have a case if your copyright is registered, but when its just a concept or idea, then there is no case. best of luck