How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Timothy D. Smith, Esq. Your Own Question

Timothy D. Smith, Esq.
Timothy D. Smith, Esq., Patent Prosecutor
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2306
Experience:  Patent Bar Certified
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Timothy D. Smith, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was found guilty of resisting arrest in a simple traffic

Resolved Question:

I was found guilty of resisting arrest in a simple traffic stop in California. However, the police officer broke my elbow in an excessive use of force. Do I have a police brutality civil case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Timothy D. Smith, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am an attorney with over 10 years experience dealing with criminal matters and litigation, among other things. It is an honor to assist you with this problem.

Generally speaking, obviously without having seen the video of the incident, if a person receives a broken bone during an arrest, there is a good chance that the police have overstepped their bounds and committed what could be termed police brutality unless they can argue this was necessary to protect themselves in upholding the law.

Before you file suit, you need to first file a complaint in formal fashion with the police department. In a civil suit, the court will look to see if you followed this step. If you did not, the defense will attempt to use your lack of filing a complaint against you.

Since you received a severe injury and since it was caused through interaction with the police, you may also want to contact your local FBI Office (normally in your nearest federal courthouse) and file a complaint against the police department and officers involved. The FBI will request any and all evidence, including video. I have recently seen an officer for a state police agency indicted and convicted of brutality. He is also currently being sued and his agency is being sued as well.

In summary, file a complaint with the police department, file a complaint with the FBI relative to the officer and department and then look at filing a civil suit within a year of the event taking place so as to not be precluded from filing suit by any statute of limitations.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward and get well soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followup question: My lawyer had filed a civil suit initially in California Superior Court. However, he dismissed it without prejudice because the criminal case of resisting arrest was pending. Now that I was convicted in less than 30 days ago, and have served 7 days in jail, I want to know if I can file the civil case again. I know that the statute of limitations in the civil suit has not expired. Can I file it?

Expert:  Timothy D. Smith, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You can still file suit based on the offense against you, no matter that you were convicted. The statute of limitations is 6 months in California from the incident in accordance with California Governmental Rule 910. You have to file faster in California than most states relative to suing the government.
Timothy D. Smith, Esq., Patent Prosecutor
Satisfied Customers: 2306
Experience: Patent Bar Certified
Timothy D. Smith, Esq. and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Alex Reese


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in intellectual property law
< Last | Next >
  • Alex Reese's Avatar

    Alex Reese


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in intellectual property law
  • Robert McEwen, Esq.'s Avatar

    Robert McEwen, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.
  • Thomas Swartz's Avatar

    Thomas Swartz


    Satisfied Customers:

    Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
  • Wilton A. Person's Avatar

    Wilton A. Person


    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, Experienced and Knowledgeable in Intellectual Property Law
  • BartEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    12+ yrs. of legal experience.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions

Chat Now With An IP Lawyer
Timothy D. Smith, Esq.
Timothy D. Smith, Esq.
255 Satisfied Customers
Patent Bar Certified