montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar

how much should a provisional letter filing cost and how do

how much should a provisional letter filing cost and how do i find a firm

The filing fee for a provisional US patent application is $90 for small entity and $45 dollars for micro entity.

A provisional application is not reviewed by the USPTO so one can file just about anything and call it a provisional.

Within one year from filing the provisional one must file a non-provisional patent application (or convert the provisional to a non-provisional) and claim priority to the provisional application.

For such claim of priority to be worth anything, the provisional must have disclosed as much relevant information as possible.

Thus, while one can file anything in a provisional, to be worth while, the provisional needs to be as detailed as possible although form is not so important (can cut corners on editing and drafting).

For such reasons, the drafting fee for a provisional can vary widely depending on the level of detail the the quality desired.

If one simply files a stack of engineering notes and scribbling, the drafting fee should be almost nothing.

If one has a very detailed provisional that is basically as thorough as a non-provisional, the drafting cost is about the same as a typical non-provisional.

Another variable is the technology being patented. The more complex the technology the more difficult and time consuming, and thus expensive, it is to draft a good patent.

All that said, a 10,000 provisional would be a high end provisional.

You should be able to find several places that will draft a suitable (not high end) provisional for between $1,000 to $2000.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I search for a patent law firm, do they have a site where they are listed or advertise

I know of no site that list firms that draft provisional patents.

Just google "provisional patent" and you will get lots of hits.

I can provide an "additional service" where I can draft a provisional for you. For some reason the "additional service" button is not provided. If interest just send me an e-mail [email protected] and we can work out the details so that this site gets paid also.