Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Lawyer
Experience:  MBA, Experienced and Knowledgeable in Intellectual Property Law

Hi, I filed a simple non provisional patent application on

I filed a simple non provisional patent application on Feb 9 of this year. I received the confirmation and filing receipt from the USPTO in March. It says 'Receipt is acknowledged'. And also 'The app will be taken up for examination in due course'. I have not heard anything since then. Do you have a best guess on why the silence from the USPTO since March? Would an attorney have an instant way to access the status of it?

Thanks, Robert
Thank you for your inquiry. It is important to know that the USPTO has eighteen months to complete the patent review process for a non provisional patent application so if you just filed in February of this year, it is not surprising that you have not yet received any additional information about the application.

The review process is based upon an examiner's case load and applications are reviewed in the order of submission so even if your patent application is what you consider to be simple, this does not necessarily mean that the review process will completed prior to the average 18 month time frame.

The most important date is the filing date which provides you protection from subsequent party who may attempt to file a similar patent.

An attorney would not have an instant way to access any more data than you would have available to you at this time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for the good service.

You are welcome.