Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

i like to do some hand painted sports mugs using sports logos

i like to do some hand painted sports mugs using sports logos and sell them on etsy.com. I don't want to infringe on any copyrights. I would like to know how to do the proper steps to getting permission to sell my creations. I have been trying to research this subject but can't find any information on how receive permission (numbers, websites, email addresses etc)
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an Intellectual Property litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : In order to legally reproduce the logos, you would have to contact each team and receive a license in order to reproduce its image.
Customer:

okay great, thank you

Customer:

how do i go about doing this

Roger : Usually , each organization has a marketing department/licensing agent that will assist with the process.
Customer:

are these numbers online

Roger : Usually, there's a fee for a license, but once you have it, you can market the item.
Customer:

does this cost money for a license. I mean considering i m just basically doing this as a hobby. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend

Customer:

do you have an estimate of how much it costs

Roger : Yes, a license is going to cost, but I can't say how much each costs. That depends on each team and what it wants.
Customer:

i have to contact each individual team, or just one license from NFL

Roger : You'd have to contact each team.
Roger : You should be able to go to their website and find a contact number.
Customer:

i would look up marketing department?

Roger : Usually, there is a link that lists all contact numbers, and should had it there.
Customer:

okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seeing as i talk to you that there is something called a nfl licensee USA, where you can only sell your merchandise in USA, which I would, and I have to give royalties. have you heard of this

Roger : That may be something for a licensed merchandiser or distributor. But, I'm not familiar with what exactly that is.
Customer:

oh okay

Roger : You certainly can ask about that, when you make contact.
Customer:

okay

Customer:

i mean i am reading on nfl.com about becoming a licensee and its say minimum requirement is being able to pay 100,000 a year in royalties. i mean i may sell 10 mugs in one year. Do they really bother someone like me who is doing this at such a small rate

Customer:

bc i will never make 100,000 better yet 200.00

Customer:

i just want to take precautions here

Roger : It's very likely that you'd never fade any issues selling these without a license , but without it, there's always a chance.
Customer:

i understand

Customer:

okay thank you

Roger : Sure.
Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.