Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  former electrical Engineer, Computer Software Developer

Not sure if I have the correct categories, but I had a house

Not sure if I have the correct categories, but I had a house fire and the contractor got the first check, didn't fulfill his contract, signed another contract with a partner of first contract. Did more than what the insurance paid for, but we paid with some of our own money, second contractor did not fulfill his contract, walked after getting last check from insurance. I have tried to contact lawyers but no one is calling me back, what can we do?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X can assist you.

I need a little more information.

Was there a written agreement as to what was to be completed ?

Do you have an estimate for what the remaining work would cost ?

How much is that estimate for ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I do not have the original paperwork from the insurance co, but the first contractor told the workers to gut my house, than said that some work was not in the insurance paperwork, the second contractor, I have a signed contract from him, but he did not do all the work, stating that he did "extras" and will not do anything else, we do not have any estimates for what is left, which is a lot of trim work and finishing work and the basement. Should I get an estimate? and from who?

Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 months ago.
What you have is a breach of contract for the work that was not completed. Unless you agreed to the extras he is not entitled to payment for them.

You have a couple of options. First you can have the work completed and try to collect (file an action) from the contractor the extra you paid to have the work completed. Option 2 you can get an estimate of how much it would cost from a contractor and file an action for that cost.

Depending on the amount you could get this resolved in small claims court without needing an attorney. The limit in small claims is up to $5,000, except in Town and Village Courts where the limit is $3,000.

Please rate my response 3 or better so I may get compensation for my response. Rating my response will not cause additional charges to you. If you have follow up questions please ask.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

It's way more than that, I need a lawyer, my husband thinks it would be more like $60 grand. Do I contact the news? or BBB? Consumers Affairs?

Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 months ago.
You can contact the BBB, contacting the news won't get the contractor to pay you $60,000. It might be bad for his business for a little while. If the insurance company paid him directly for the work that wasn't completed without your agreement they might decide to file suit against the contractor along with you. You should check this with your attorney first. Given the dollar amounts involved hiring a lawyer is gong to be the best route to go to protect your interest.

Jack R., Lawyer
Experience: former electrical Engineer, Computer Software Developer