Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My book was published in 1994 and was registered with the U.S.

My book was published in 1994 and was registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Now it is being republished by a European company for distribution in Europe. They are revising about 20 % of the book and changing the title. Do any U.S. copyright laws apply to this? Does the original title have to appear anywhere in the book?

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Are they doing this with your consent? Or do they have a contract that allows them to modify the book / title / etc...?

Customer:

There is a contract that allows them to modify the book and I have the right to approve all changes. I have no problem with the revisions or the title change.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Thank you. The original title does not have to appear in the book, and they are free to make as much or as little change as they would like. Essentially the new version / edition of the book is a new copyright entirely. The may put that it is a second edition / version / etc... if they want, but it is not a requirement. A

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

And again, the title can certainly be changed. It is a new copyright. Even if EVERYTHING was the same except for the title, that could be a new copyright, without having to even mention the original in it. As long as the copyright owner consents to this, there is no issue with it.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Thank you. That answers the question.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!