montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar
9204196

I purchased a handbag from an online site. That handbag was

I purchased a handbag from an online site. That handbag was sold to me as authentic which it was not. I listed it for sale online. I received a cease and desist email from the company of the replicated handbag. I realize now that it was against the terms and conditions of the website. I also realize that not reading the terms and conditions and being unaware is not a defense. I just need to know how seriously I need to take this e-mail. They are asking for restitution which I do not have hence why I was selling things I no longer use. I will absolutely comply with not re-listing the item. 

We are talking about 1 handbag, right.

How much does this handbag cost New if authentic?

If under $5,000, I would ignore the e-email; just do not respond as if you are not getting them. IF they call, do not respond; hang up. They will almost surely go away. Even if they do not go away, you do not want to give them information.

I would get rid of the handbag somehow other that trying to sell it online.

(a) flee market is an option with full disclosure about the counterfeit issue;

(b) give it away as a present;

If they do not go away, come back and ask more questions and we will determine the best way to respond.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bag is less than $5,000. Probably about $300 if authentic and new. I am going to donate the bag tomorrow into a clothes bin. I really did not realize I could get into a mess by selling it. Thanks for your time

YOU STATE
The bag is less than $5,000. Probably about $300 if authentic and new.

RESPONSE

Then they would be stupid to press this issue beyond a few e-mails.

YOU STATED
I am going to donate the bag tomorrow into a clothes bin. I really did not realize I could get into a mess by selling it. Thanks for your time

RESPONSE

Such is a very good idea.

Good Luck.