Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.

Protecting web design and text

Hello, I'm in the process of launching an e-commerce website. I have created all the graphics, about 50 or more slides and banners, myself as well as written descriptive text. On the home page, the developer has noted, "Graphics by (my name)". I am asking if this is sufficient to protect my work. Is there anything you can suggest that would be a deterrent for anyone to copy of work and use it themselves?

Correction:  "Graphics by (my name)" appears as a footer on the homepage, so it will be on all the pages.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To be honest, a notification that the work belongs to someone is generally sufficient protection. The note that the developer posted is sufficient under law to create protection. You can go further if you like and create a watermark on the images so that the images would only be attributed to you, and no third party could utilize the images as the watermark would be on the picture proving it to belong to you. But that is really about it, the remainder would be your own review and policing so as to ensure that no other parties are utilizing your images especially after being informed on the site that the work belongs to you.

Good luck!