Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.

I have a single song that a company is offering to market and

I have a single song that a company is offering to market and distribute in the U.K. The representative says it will cost them £40,000 for a 3 month campaign and they would need me to make a "contribution". Is it standard practise for an artist to have to pay money up front? I am an unsigned musician.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is no. This is not standard practice. I am not stating that this individual is a scammer, but their request is highly suspect. Most promoters/managers work off commission for their artists both in the US and UK, meaning they make a percentage of whatever the artist earns.

Asking for money up front unusual and not standard at all.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)