Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

A newspaper published a photo of Joseph Stalin in a newspaper

A newspaper published a photo of Joseph Stalin in a newspaper in 1949. Is this photo protected by copyright?

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

It's not automatically public domain. There are a lot of factors at play here. First of all, if it was taken by someone in the Soviet Union, that would be public domain, regardless of where it was first published. If it was published with notice AND copyright was not renewed, it would be public domain.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Since it was published in 1949, you might need to do a bit of research to see if the copyright was renewed (you can contact the Copyright Office to determine this).

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

If it was not published with copyright notice, then it would be public domain.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

The only way that it would not be public domain is if it was published with notice of copyright AND the copyright was renewed, in which it would be copyrighted 95 years from the publish date.

Robert McEwen, Esq. :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!