Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

My daughter drew Marilyn Monroe and wants to silk screen the

My daughter drew Marilyn Monroe and wants to silk screen the image she drew on a T-shirt and sell the shirts online. Is there a royalty or fee of any kind for using this image on a T-shirt.

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

there is no copyright issue if the drawing/image is her original work, but there may be a right of publicity issue with respect to the celebrity.

Alex Reese :

right of publicity laws vary from state to state (State Law)

Alex Reese :

Maryland is among the clear minority of States in which the right of publicity is not recognized as a property right either by statute or under the common law

Alex Reese :

So they will have little or no case law on the subject. It would be worth checking with a local attorney before starting the enterprise, but chances are it will not be an issue