Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Is a provisional application sufficient protection to start

Is a provisional application sufficient protection to start distributing my product (invention).

Thank you.
Antonio Chavez

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

a provision patent may act as somewhat of a deterrant to would-be copiers, but there is no legal protection...you cannot enforce a provisional patent. only a utility patent can be enforced.

Alex Reese :

a provision patent serves to establish a filing date for the submitted materials, but it does not give you any enforcement rights

Customer:

Do I have to wait untill I get a utility patent to start marketing and distribution?

Alex Reese :

however, that doesn't mean that you need to wait until you have a granted utility patent to distribute

Alex Reese :

no you don't, but you can't legal stop someone from making/selling your patented invnetion until you have a granted patent....until then it is a warning/deterrent

Customer:

So my competition can manufacture, copy and sale my product till I get a U. Patent.

Alex Reese :

assuming the only protected aspects are in the patent, yes

Customer:

I came up with a unique clip for suspenders, can any other manufacture use it until I get a U. Patent.

Alex Reese :

yes they can

Alex Reese :

unless it is protected by trademark or copyright in some way....but that would be a separate issue

Customer:

What I should do file for a U. Patent immidiately. My product is shelf ready.

Alex Reese :

yes you should meet with a patent attorney file a utility patent asap

Alex Reese :

but people don't wait until they have the patent to starting doing business....they just makring the product "patnt pending" and proceed

Customer:

I thank you for your time.

Alex Reese :

best of luck

Customer:

But my clip is unique only Perry Ellis and I have a clip that attaches to the belt.

Customer:

Can u assist me, am in Canada?

Alex Reese :

no we are not allowed to communicate with customers in any way or give referrals etc

Customer:

Oh.

Customer:

thank you for your valuable information. Take care.

Alex Reese :

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to bother again.

after I get a U. Patent, can my competition continue using my clip?

Well if you have a patent and they are infringing one or more patent claims then you can threaten to sue them and/or sue them for patent infringement. You will need a patent attorney to confirm whether their product infringes your patent.