Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I wrote a book. I dont have the copyright yet but the application

I wrote a book. I don't have the copyright yet but the application has been filed with the U.S. Copyright Office. With that in mind, I'd like to submit the book to publishers. I think the submission to the copyright office should be enough to protect my rights to the work. Is that correct or do I really need to wait the months to get the official copyright?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

A copyright registration is effective on the date the Copyright Office receives all the required elements in acceptable form,regardless of how long it then takes to process the application and mail the certificate of registration. That means that regardless when the application is processed and you receive confirmation, etc... that it was registered, it will relate back to the date that you filed it and the office received it, not when it finally processed it.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Furthermore, your creative works are automatically copyrighted in the US once you create them. Registration gives further remedies (such as being able to sue for damages, attorneys fees and costs, etc...) and the fact that you submitted it for registration means that you can still sue for those items if it's infringed upon.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

So yes, you can submit feeling secure that you will be protected by copyright law.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney