Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney ready to provide you legal assistance!

I am looking to obtain copyright permission for a vhs tape

I am looking to obtain copyright permission for a vhs tape Jane Fonda workout video. I have no clue how to go about this. The only information I have is:

Copyright Owner - 1982 KVC / RCA

The copyrighted item was titled “Workout”
I am an intellectual property attorney and I would be happy to assist you! Luckily the U.S. Copyright office can provide you all the contact information you will need to obtain permission to use a copyrighted work online (even from the 80's).

You can start your search by going to:

Then simply type in the title and make sure title is clicked. You may want to try a few different types of searches. I tried for you (Jane Fonda Workout) and a bunch of different Jane Fonda titles came up from around that time, so you should probably compare the VHS tape to each listing. If it isn't there then just keep playing with your search, similarly to google. Once you find your title, it will give you the listing of the owners of the Copyright. You can click on those names to find their contact information. Most likely the copyright has switched hands many times since the 80's.

My preliminary search showed that the copyright for Jane Fonda's Workout was purchased in 1992 by Lightyear Entertainment, L.P. It is categorized as:
050 The Jane Fonda workout / PA 145-127.
It is found here:
This may not be the right movie, so don't get frustrated if it takes awhile. If you need a copy of the official copyright document, you can fill out the form at the bottom of that webpage, per the instructions.

Additionally, here is a pamphlet on how you may use or reproduce a copyrighted work:

I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating.