Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

We are looking at names for our fitness studio and would like

We are looking at names for our fitness studio and would like a name we can ultimately trademark. Point Fitness is one on our short list but not sure if that can be trademarked. Can you please advise?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

a search fo the PTO database for trademarks did not include any results for "point fitness"....but there was a "north point fitness" and "fitness point" registered

Alex Reese :

although "fitness point" is inactive....there is a "red point fitness"...but that's it, so only 2 active TMs with "point fitness" in the name

Alex Reese :

if the link works for you, you can click on the link for each of them to get more info

Customer:

Does that mean it is too similar? Do not want to run into a trademark issue.

Alex Reese :

well, the examiner will decide whether it is too similar, and then you can debate it

Alex Reese :

I would guess that the examiner would cite these two against your application

Customer:

So that means the examiner would probably not allow us to trademark it?

Alex Reese :

you could increase your chances by incorporating a special font/style with the name, or including a logo/graphic

Customer:

Also if a trademark is inactive, that doesn't matter, correct?

Alex Reese :

also it depends on how close your business is to them....for example "red point fitness" is for educational, web-based services, so you could argue they are in a different calss of services/goods

Alex Reese :

inactive = dead = its up for grabs

Customer:

Ok, I kind of want to be sure because it is 1K to purchase www.pointfitness.com. Don't want the site unless I can trademark name.

Customer:

Also, this chat is confidential correct? If we do go with point fitness, I don't want this to pop up. Thank you!

Alex Reese :

I think you can request it to be confidential but normally they are not exaclty because other members can access past answers....but I don't think they are available to the general public

Customer:

Ok thank you. I would like to request this to be confidential.

Alex Reese :

you have to look at your business vs. what north point does and see if you can distinguish yourself. This will not a cut and dry issue, there are several variable so no matter what you are taking chances

Customer:

ok thank you so much for your help

Alex Reese :

thanks....and remember that you can increase your chances by limiting your mark to a particular font/style of charcters and/or include some distinctive graphic/logo

Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in intellectual property law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.