Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

A company has published a bound rulebook for a game (Tabletop

A company has published a bound rulebook for a game (Tabletop game using miniatures and cards). The company is updating their rules to a new version of the game and will no longer be publishing the old rule set. I want to make a fan update to the old rule set. I will not use any stories included in the old books, nor any art. I want to reuse the old version of the rules and the model names and statistics. I want to offer this for free to the community via a website. I would acknowledge this is unofficial and point (in the book) to the companies website for official updated rules (the new version). I would also maintain the copyright & trademark block from their existing books and material.
Does this breach the companies’ copyright?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a "fan update" of the old rule book. But if you do any copying of material from that old rule book, then you would be infringing on the copyright. On the other hand, if you are just commenting on the old rule book, or otherwise just explaining it, this would not violate the copyright. You are allowed to write about copyrighted work. You are just not allowed to do any direct copying.