Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.

I sold a directory publishing business in 1985. It was resold

Customer Question

I sold a directory publishing business in 1985. It was resold twice again. It is now out of business. It's name isXXXXX am Jim Black and would like to re start it online.

What needs to be done?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed New Jersey professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, when did it go out of business, how long ago? Is the entity who owned it completely defunct or is it inactive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The business that owned it is Network communication Inc.

They closed Black's in 2010.

Thank you for your follow-up.

In that case you would need to contact the company directly, and potentially offer to buy this copyright back from them. If the company folded the guide, they still retained ownership of the intellectual property associated with it, which means that they still have the right to retain it (and either not use it at all, or reinstate or sell it to someone else). But they still own it. I was hoping that if the guide folded, so did the business, which if dissolved and made inactive could be simply restarted and you would automatically retain the copyright, but here instead you would need to reach out to them and negotiate for the value of this guide, buy or transfer it to yourself, and then restart it.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are most welcome, truly!

Please have the best of luck. If you found my information to be useful, kindly do not forget to positively rate my answer so I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!