Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.

1) What is the best option (LLC, S-Corp,...etc.) to register

1) What is the best option (LLC, S-Corp,...etc.) to register a company between 2 partners for 50/50 ownership?

2) Initially our business will be more og a publication rather than a platform to sell product. Eventually we will be selling product. Does that matter in how we register the company and what legal bases do we need for selling product?

3) What are our legal restrictions when we post/talk about certain people and companies?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

There is no 'best' option without knowing what you seek for this company to accomplish. Could you explain how large you reasonably think it will get, do you expect to sell this entity at any point or add more partners?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes there might be both options

How large do you expect the entity to get, sales wise or income wise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We aren't aiming to primary sell a unique product, we are aiming to gradually develop a strong marketing platform and potentially sell product in the future

Thank you for your follow-up.

I was asking about your income because certain types of business structures are more favorable for tax purposes based on levels of income. In addition certain business entities like the S-Corp cannot be sold or bought by other entities, if that is something you wanted to pursue at some point. Since I have no idea what income basis you wish to have but you are thinking of selling this at some point, an LLC is the better all-around choice.

At this time there is no need to register differently later, just in your articles of incorporation define all possible future income streams or types of work your company will pursue. No need to be specific, the way you described it in your question here is sufficient.

The last question you posted is very general in nature and tough to answer because of it. You can only post true information about other entities as otherwise it may open you up to defamation claims. Likewise using logos or names without permission for commercial purposes when not consented to is not permitted. For example, linking to a third-party story about your competitor experiencing trouble on your site is likely permitted but trashing the competitor would likely be grounds to a suit.

Good luck.