Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If I want to make an elizabethan collar just using the standard

If I want to make an elizabethan collar just using the standard plastic cone, will I run into patent issues? If so, how much do I need to change the collar so that it doesn't violate a patent?

Will it be enough to use a different kind of plastic or different mechanism for connecting the cone together (e.g. velcro)?

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

There were plastic Elizabethan collars in 1978 (at least) (see Patent 4,200,057) and as such, the 20 year period has long expired.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

That means that you should not run into any patent issues if you have a standard cone collar connected with Velcro. I found a patent with Velcro connecting it filed in 1991, and even that's past 20 years.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

So in short, any patent protection for that type of collar has run.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Great. Thanks

RobertMcEwenEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!