Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.

Can I trademark a name for IC25 that is the same name as a

Can I trademark a name for IC25 that is the same name as a town in America? I've seen this done before with names like Lodi (a town in NJ)...tho the lodi name is XXXXX XXXXX for IC25...but this should not matter

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

There is no limitation on trademarking a name, even a town name, unless that name somehow has a secondary meaning. A good example for trademark purposes may be Philadelphia brand cream cheese, and that was something that was permitted to be created.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

even if the product is just "Philadelphia" and not "Philadelphia Cream Cheese"?

Thank you for your follow-up.

The term itself would still be related to something else. From what I understand you wish to trademark a city name for gaming purposes (unless I am mistaken with what IC25 stands for). If that is correct then you are still seeking a trademark for the game, and unless the city already has it trademarked, what you are seeking to do is perfectly reasonable.

Good luck.

I appreciate your 'poor' rating. What specifically did I fail to address?