montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar
9204196

My landlord has trademarked our business name. Is there something

Customer Question

My landlord has trademarked our business name. Is there something I can do about this?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  montysimmons replied 3 years ago.

montysimmons :

Hello, you there?

montysimmons :

First, if you used the trademark BEFORE your landlord did, then he can't use his trademark against you.

Second, Assumptions: You are in the US and the Landlord is in the US.

montysimmons :

The landlord has filed a trademark application in the USPTO and the USTPO allowed and registered the mark

montysimmons :

The landlord knew your business name, and the type of goods/services you sell, before he filed for the trademark.

montysimmons :

The trademark the Landlord received is for your business name for the same goods/services you sell

montysimmons :

Then the landlord has a problem.

montysimmons :

When one applies for a trademark, on signs an affidavit that says the mark being requested does not infringe on the rights of another.

montysimmons :

*one signs

montysimmons :

If you have evidence that landlord knew of your business name and the goods/services you sell and landlord did not disclose this to the USPTO during the application process, you can file a "cancellation proceeding" in the USPTO.

montysimmons :

Basically the landlord has infringed your common law trademark rights.

montysimmons :

A big pain in the behind and it could be expensive but you will likely need a lawyer to file the cancellation proceeding; although many people do it themselves.

Search the USPTO website for more invormation: http://www.uspto.gov/index.jsp

montysimmons :

good luck and feel free to ask more questions

Just checking on you to verify I have answered all your questions.

The question is still open on my end probably because no feedback has been submitted yet.

If you have not already done so, and if I have answered all your questions, please provide feedback via the rating system so this question will close.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask them.

Thanks.