dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer
Experience:  15+ years of practice, including intellectual property--primarily copyright law
5930486

Hi,I intend to file an application for registration of the

I intend to file an application for registration of the logo of my brand which I am using.It is in black background with the design in turquoise.Do i upload the image as it is in the application or should I upload in black and white.What are the pros and cons and can you give me a USPTO link where this information is????
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 1 year ago.

Just to be sure, you are asking about registering your logo as a trademark? Make sure you want that and not a copyright. If so, yes, you need to do the right colors, forms, and where you are going to use that mark etc, which is part of the trademark. For instance, did you ever see the McDonald "arches" in anything but yellow? Of course not, that's part of the entire package. DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

There is where your basics are, but I'm not sure it mentions color, but it is a "must".

What else can I help you with?

dkennedy, Lawyer
Experience: 15+ years of practice, including intellectual property--primarily copyright law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The url didnt open.I have already registered a brand name ,now I need to register as logo to go with the brand in all my products.What is the difference between trademark and copyright.The idea is to not allow anyone else to use my logo.

Expert:  dkennedy replied 1 year ago.
A copyright is to register written or other created things such as songs, books, software programs,etc. A trademark is a name or a logo that identifies a brand, such as IHOP, McDonalds, the arches of McDonalds, the face and design which is Starbucks logo, etc. so that it is yours alone and recognizable. I could not open a restaurant and use the arches or the same Starbucks logo, or make a cereal with that "K" which means Kelloggs--things like that.
dkennedy, Lawyer
Expert:  dkennedy replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you need? I would be happy to discuss any further questions you have on this matter.