Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have registered a trademark for the word "Socialcide." The

I have registered a trademark for the word "Socialcide." The concept of which will be in a book I am publishing. I realize that book titles cannot be "trademarked" unless there are a series of books with this word in them, but is there anything else I can do to send to the Trademark Office to show my "use in commerce" such as a tee shirt, hat, coffee mug, etc.? Thank you.

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

a TM must be associated with a particular class or goods or services, so any evidence of use in commerce has to relate to that class that you applied for. Also, the evidence should be submitted with the application. At this point you do not need to do anything unless you are asked for additional evidence of use in commerce.

Alex Reese :

and you are right that book titles cannot be trademarked

Alex Reese :

also, there is no general trademark for a word or phrase on various objects....there must be some class of goods/services

Alex Reese :

in other words, the trademark cannot exist as just a word or logo that can be applied to anything

Customer:

They have not asked yet, but if they did, would a seminar itinerary on the topic do? And an additional itinerary on "More About Socialcide" suffice?

Alex Reese :

That may help, but they may want evidence showing national usage / across state lines. Your evidence may satisfy that but I woulnd't know

Alex Reese :

technically the commerce must be interstate commerce

Alex Reese :

so the evidence must also be such....but website evdience can often be used

Customer:

Thank you. That's very helpful! Leo

Alex Reese :

sure let me know if you need help in the future. just put "For Alex Reese" in the question title.

Alex Reese :

bets of luck, hopefully the PTO is satisifed

Customer:

I DEFINATELY will! AND....I might!!!!

Alex Reese :

and please don't forget to Rate my response OK or better so I get credit

Customer:

You will get EXCELLENT!